Here are some things that happened this week at Bear Creek. What a great opportunity to talk to your child about his/her week.
1. Welcome to Mrs. Ruiz! Mrs. Ruiz joined us this week as part of our Learner Support Team. She replaces Mrs. Melvin, who retired at Christmas. Please welcome Mrs. Ruiz to Bear Creek.
2. Dance Performance at Frank Hurt. On Monday, the Grade 6’s and 7’s went to Frank Hurt Secondary to watch a dance performance. It was a great opportunity for them to see what it is like in High school. Some of our students even had the opportunity to participate in the “Dance Off” at the end of the performance. Some students in Ms. Lyne’s class wrote about their trip to Frank Hurt in some blog posts this week. Scroll down to read their posts.
3. Community School Floor Hockey. On Tuesday, our Community Schools Floor Hockey started for the grade 4 students. We want to thank all of the students who demonstrated interest in participating in this (and all) opportunity. We wish we could have more students participate. Next week, we have even more Community Schools programs starting!
4. Hand Washing!!! On Wednesday, all of the grade two classes had someone from a local pharmacy visit her class to talk about the importance of proper hand washing (especially around this time of year). Did you know that you should wash your hands for as long as it takes you to sing “Happy Birthday” to yourself? Or you could sing the song that was shared with all of our Grade 2 students – Sung to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. If you would like more information on Hand washing and illnesses, please visit Do Bugs Need Drugs.
5. Doing the Jig at Bear Creek! One of our Aboriginal Helping teachers, Deborah Merrier, visited a couple of our classes this week. Div. 9 and 10 had the opportunity to learn the jig, the bunny hop, and crazy legs. They had a lot of fun and boy, what a workout they got!